Banner
Xtra Smileys
[Open]
We Unite Gaming
March 29, 2024, 08:55:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to We Unite Gaming!
Formerly Wii Unite/Wii Unite Gaming

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Youtube Channel Chatbox Staff List Login Register  

Getting started (help sort of)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting started (help sort of)  (Read 215 times)
Hound, Grey Hound
WU Pwn

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2011, 03:31:37 pm »

So, I can do the license tests if I choose, do I get anything for completing them?
Then on to spec A races right?  Pass them, 1-3rd and get cash and exp.
In the mean time, start tuning my cars? Is it better to save cash or tune as I go, I mean I don't want to spend money on my starter car if I don't need to.

I know it sounds dumb but, I just usually put the game in, go online and fire away so this is different for me. 
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DoubleGunz
Founding Member
WU Smash Yo Face

PSN: DoubleGunz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 04:50:21 pm »

Yeah, this was a weird game for me at first (I know nothing about cars).

Here's what I did (I don't know if you'll want to do it this way or not)

Basically when I started... I didn't even realize there was online, or at least.. I wasn't sure how it worked. I played A Spec a little, and then I got bored of the game, hated on it.. and almost sold it. I bought a Mustang, and was happy for a little, but meh...

Once I went back on like a month later, I just went online with a friend... did Daytona a bunch, using the cars in the garage that weren't mine... (Jeff Gordon mostly), and racked up a lot of money and EXP that way. I basically only play on Daytona...once I got enough for a Ford GT, I bought it.. and tuned it all the way, made it awesome, then I repeated that process using MY GT, and now I also have a Mercedes McClaren, (sp)...

I've done a couple of the A Spec cups, since they do technically give more money (Expert and up), but I find online way more fun playing with friends... or even just random people with mics.

Now I've got 2 nice cars, and am working for a third. That's how I got to a decent level, and you could too, lol. I really don't care for single player, but it gives more money - like I said - once you're a high enough level.

I reccomend using the nascar preset cars online for a bit, till you can get a car with at least 500HP from the Dealerships, then tune the crap out of it. By then, you should be able to do the Expert cups with ease, and then of course, the Extreme ones. : )

Also, B Spec becomes insanely easy at this point, just keep setting it up while you're doing something else like watching TV, and it's really easy money / XP.

tl;dr Online w/ best default first for money, then get a car with over 500HP at least.. and tune it, then do w.e you want.

That is my story.  Roll Eyes

Edit: You get cars for doing licenses and A Spec/ B Spec... here's a list: http://gametipcenter.com/gran-turismo-5-unlockable-cars
Report Spam   Logged

hoop_210
WU Smash Yo Face

Clan: SATX
PSN: hoop_210

We are fawking animals...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 05:49:15 pm »

wow...over a thousand cars to unlock...crazy
Report Spam   Logged

Laughing Turd
Global Moderator
WU Guru

Clan: Dragon Boys

Maldita mi duda fue fatal.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 06:59:04 pm »

Basically when I started... I didn't even realize there was online, or at least.. I wasn't sure how it worked. I played A Spec a little, and then I got bored of the game, hated on it.. and almost sold it. I bought a Mustang, and was happy for a little, but meh...

Once I went back on like a month later, I just went online with a friend... did Daytona a bunch, using the cars in the garage that weren't mine... (Jeff Gordon mostly), and racked up a lot of money and EXP that way. I basically only play on Daytona...once I got enough for a Ford GT, I bought it.. and tuned it all the way, made it awesome, then I repeated that process using MY GT, and now I also have a Mercedes McClaren, (sp)...

I've done a couple of the A Spec cups, since they do technically give more money (Expert and up), but I find online way more fun playing with friends... or even just random people with mics.

Now I've got 2 nice cars, and am working for a third. That's how I got to a decent level, and you could too, lol. I really don't care for single player, but it gives more money - like I said - once you're a high enough level.

I reccomend using the nascar preset cars online for a bit, till you can get a car with at least 500HP from the Dealerships, then tune the crap out of it. By then, you should be able to do the Expert cups with ease, and then of course, the Extreme ones. : )

Also, B Spec becomes insanely easy at this point, just keep setting it up while you're doing something else like watching TV, and it's really easy money / XP.

tl;dr Online w/ best default first for money, then get a car with over 500HP at least.. and tune it, then do w.e you want.

Edit: You get cars for doing licenses and A Spec/ B Spec... here's a list: http://gametipcenter.com/gran-turismo-5-unlockable-cars

Wait what? Dude I thought you were not allowed to play this game since its not CoD! Quickly DG, you must go back! Your skills at CoD will drop and you will lose your high social status. Your friends will never want to talk to you again because you wont be as good at CoD. CoD is the best and only game ever remember? CoD is life! Run DG, ruuuuuuuuuuuuuun.
Report Spam   Logged

Hound, Grey Hound
WU Pwn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 07:52:44 pm »

Thank you very much.  I played some A-spec today and really didn't like it, especially when I finished 4th and had to re-race.  I went online and the game I joined said they were doing 200 laps and I couldn't join.  I figured some buddies just wanted to mess around so 200 laps would allow them to race without anyone else joining.

I'll try some more online racing, which is what I want anyway.
Report Spam   Logged
gefish
WU Combatant

PSN: gefish

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 08:17:01 pm »

Do the special events. Those give massive amounts of money and xp. Getting a gold will net you a bunch of money cuz it'll give you the prize for bronze and silver. Once you complete it you won't get the payout for the prizes below you again.

All I did really was buy a **** car, do the licenses and level up then did the special events until I couldn't do anymore. I ended up with a boat load of money and spent it all on a used countach and maxing it out. I could beat the competition in a spec with it for like half of the races.

Do b-spec too. It gives really good cars (roadster cup gives a furai) but its a bit boring and more often than not your driver is absolutely garbage. OP the competition and just watch TV or do something productive. Think of it as afk money
Report Spam   Logged
DoubleGunz
Founding Member
WU Smash Yo Face

PSN: DoubleGunz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 05:10:02 pm »

Wait what? Dude I thought you were not allowed to play this game since its not CoD! Quickly DG, you must go back! Your skills at CoD will drop and you will lose your high social status. Your friends will never want to talk to you again because you wont be as good at CoD. CoD is the best and only game ever remember? CoD is life! Run DG, ruuuuuuuuuuuuuun.

I'm not addicted to that **** anymore. Haven't played in over 2 weeks. Don't plan on going back either.

CoD is a terrible series that ruins gaming.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Laughing Turd
Global Moderator
WU Guru

Clan: Dragon Boys

Maldita mi duda fue fatal.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 06:37:14 pm »

Shocked I um... I'm really confused here. I said... and then YOU said... ........ ..^^^^.....  and the calculations dont add up

i... gg? yeah, gg (you're DG right? I coulda sworn you were... )
Report Spam   Logged

Cadillak
Global Moderator
WU Guru

PSN: lakkus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 08:08:49 pm »

ok, here it goes....

A Spec is racing cars you own against the computer for money/exp.

B Spec is coaching a team of AI controlled drivers against the computer to win money/exp.

Special Events are what they sound like. They usually consist of a pre set race using a certain car or cars and these races give you tons of money/exp so do them all when ever you unlock them by reaching the required level.

Seasonal Events are races that are set up to only be able to be played for a short amount of time like a few weeks or so. These things are cash cows so do them all if you can and rake in the money.

GT Academy is a national competition that allows you to compete for a ton of great real world prizes and a chance to be on a reality TV series where you race actual race cars. I'm trying to compete in it and not doing well.  Embarrassed

A Spec:

I usually tell people to start playing the game by only using the cars you have and try to never buy any new or used cars unless you absolutely have to. That means, you use the car you start with and the cars you win in game to compete in other races and save your money for tuning cars instead of buying new ones all the time. start with either a civic or a miata (preferably from the used lot). either of those two cars will allow you to use them for a bunch of different races without having to buy a different car for each race. After you get past the first few levels of A and B spec mode, you should have plenty of money and cars to start doing whatever you want.

B Spec:

I advise you to do the B Spec mode when you can't actually play the game yourself. Get a few good cars in A Spec, then use them (preferably OP cars that will win easily) in B Spec mode. Your AI driver is gonna suck at first, but they get better the more you use them and don't drive like retards after a few races. You unlock a new AI driver every five levels you pass in B Spec mode until you have a team of six drives. You can retire drivers and hire new ones whenever you want. B Spec mode gives you tons of "free" money and actually gives you better cars than A Spec mode when you win them. I suggest you do A and B Spec mode at the same time cuz you win cars in either mode that work for races in the other mode. you really shouldn't have to buy many cars at all if you do all the different modes as you unlock them.

Try to get gold trophy's on everything
getting gold trophies gives you free cars and more money/exp. this also applies to licenses. if you can manage golds on the licensees, you are a pimp for one and will be rewarded with bad ass cars too.

License Tests:

you don't have to pass the first license test to start in A and B spec mode. You will have to get your licenses for later races though so just play until you have to get that next license or just try to get all the licenses at once. whatever floats your boat. The tests do actually teach you how to play the game correctly though so it's a good idea to try to gold as much of the tests as you can. you only need to bronze them to pass them so don't worry about it if you just can't get golds or silvers on some of the tests. also, you do get prize cars for getting golds on the all the tests but this is EXTREMELY hard to do. I've only managed to get golds on all the first set of licenses and a handful of the others. I do think I have more gold trophies in the license tests than any one else on my friends list in GT5 though cuz I'm pimp like that.  Cool (gefish may have more though, I'm not sure. He's a good racer apparently  Afro )

Online:

Online has private and public servers.

The public servers (randoms can join) can be found by clicking on the "Open Lobby" icon on the main screen. You can create your own lobby or join others. You can earn money/exp by racing online (as DG said) but you don't win nearly as much as you do in the career mode. You can have up to 16 people in a public lobby at once. The host of the lobby sets the rules and controls everything. He can allow you to vote for some stuff like track choices but it's his choice on everything else.

The private servers (only friends and friends of friends can join these) can be found by clicking on the "My Lounge" icon that looks like a coffee cup. If you click on the "Community" tab on the left of the main screen you can see all your friends that play GT5 and whether or not they are online. There will be a green light next to their name if they are playing and there will be an orange icon attached to their "coffee cup" if they are playing online. If they are playing online, just go to the community tab, click on that person's name and click on the coffee cup and you can join the server they are in. Private servers work the same as public ones except that you can have up to 32 people in a private server with up to 16 of those people racing at a time.

Trading cars:

you can send cars and receive cars to and from your friends in GT5. you can send one car per day and 5 paint chips (these allow you to paint your cars different colors) per day. you can send cars back and forth if you wanna let someone borrow a car for a while. hit me up any time you need a car cuz I send a car to someone almost every day.

Arcade Mode:

arcade mode is just for screwing around and driving cars on whatever tracks you want. there are a ton of cars to choose from right from the start and you unlock more cars and tracks by progressing the career mode (Greyhound said you can unlock arcade mode stuff by playing arcade mode but I don't know about that. I don't play that mode of the game. Arcade is good for showing the game off or just screwing around IMO. You can do more in the Practice Mode of the main game so that's where I go when I want to mess around with the cars outside of the career mode.

Tips:

- don't waste time tuning cars with the lower parts. just buy the best parts from the start and save your money buy not buying the lower level parts if you can.

- don't buy a ton of cars for each race in career mode. use the cars you have for the races you can until you absolutely have to buy a new one. you can play most of the career mode w/out buying any cars cuz you win most of the cars you need by winning events (usually have to get gold trophies) and stuff.

- I'll post more when I get some more time, this is already tl;dr, lol
Report Spam   Logged
Hound, Grey Hound
WU Pwn

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 11:22:48 am »

thanks you everyone. 
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: