Banner
Xtra Smileys
[Open]
We Unite Gaming
March 28, 2024, 05:44:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to We Unite Gaming!
Formerly Wii Unite/Wii Unite Gaming

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Youtube Channel Chatbox Staff List Login Register  

Tales of Graces F (PS3)

Poll
Question: Did you find this review helpful?
Yes - 1 (20%)
No - 3 (60%)
Somewhat - 1 (20%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tales of Graces F (PS3)  (Read 283 times)
MrPillow
WiiUnite's Fluffifier
WU Pwn

Clan: Wii Failures
PSN: MrPillow92

STR8 SLAMMIN'

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2012, 03:55:39 am »

System I played it on: PS3 Only
I am reviewing the: Single Player
I last played this game: Roughly May 1st, 2012

Tales of Graces F is a remake of the 2009 Wii and Japan exclusive Tales of Graces. The traditional TP magic system of the Tales system has been replaced with CC, a meter that refills quickly that accounts for all actions. Differences between the original ToG and F is an extended storyline, with about 20 additional hours of gameplay, another playable character, and a bonus dungeon.

Story

The story takes itself very seriously, and treats itself as an epic plot. However, this was the achielle's heel of the game imo. The story is extremely predictable. The main plot twist of the game is easily, easily deduced early into the game, and while I won't mention details due to spoilers, even the game's box art contains a HUGE spoiler if you pay attention carefully. Character motives are often non-sensical, and there is so much laziness in figuring out how to make the game longer it's ridiculous. Random computers breaking that are needed to procede with the storyline, and they can only be fixed by another computer on the other side of the world; that's the level of contrived ridiculous you're dealing with in ToG:F. However, while the plot is very forgettable, the dialogue is a saving grace, featuring genuinely funny lines that are intended to be funny. The game's skits, victory quotes, and the relationships between characters are often hilarious. If the writers lose their  jobs for the horrible plot, the they should definitely go into standup. Pascal and Malik are two of the funniest characters in games.

Gameplay

This is what you buy Tales of Graces F for. The reason I was able to sink over 100 hours into this beast was because of how PERFECT the battle system was. Tales of series veterans know the drill; walk around into enemies already shown to you, and engage in arena based combat. However, so many quarks have been added to this game it's absolutely awesome. This game requires skill. No, not patience, or grinding. SKILL. You are given one universal meter that every action you can take deducts points from. Quick dodging, free run, attacking physically or with magic etc. The meter refills very quickly, but stopping mid attack to refill your meter will ruin your combo, and opens you up to your attack. This is settled by the classic Tales of combo system where you must synchronize your attacks with your teammates. While your teammates attack, you recover. Keeping the synchronization up and constantly giving orders to your allies allows you to achieve absolutely incredibly results that make you feel like a ballet of death on the battlefield.

Graphics

I am going to say this once: Do not bother with this game if you have a SDTV. After my roommate moved out (and took his HD TV with him) I tried playing this on two separate occasions. I played for about five minutes each time. It was an incredible eyesore.

Anyways, the art style is very simple, conservative "Saturday morning" anime. Characters are markered in brightly, and full anime, hand drawn cutscenes are used for important events. In battle, every motion is fluid and visually everything is easily kept up with. The environments are something special, as they are completely successful in creating the intended atmosphere. Such as the ironclad industrial city of Zahverk which perfectly captured the military ran dictatorship that the developers intended.

Sounds

Completely hit or miss. Some music tracks, such as the Zhonecage or Humanoid Research Center themes, are incredibly catchy and makes you wish they were full length songs and not in game tunes. That said, it did not feel as though the soundtrack was taken very seriously. Many songs are re-used for what should be unique experiences, and some of the music was horrible and completely uninspired. You'll catch yourself humming a few of the tunes as you play but a week later you won't be able to recall any of the beats or riffs. The voice acting was incredible for a J-RPG. It felt nice to not want to punch an anime character in the mouth every time they spoke.

Overall, Tales of Graces F is a definite must buy for any J RPG fan, and anyone who wants to feel challenged by a single player game that doesn't just overwhelm the player with ridiculous stats or numbers in enemies, but actually gets outsmarted by the gameplay for a change should definitely give this game a look.

9/10, the absolutely amazing combat system, definitely the best in any RPG ever, is really an outlier here.

Fun fact: This game sold so well Namco has said they are confident they want to bring over more Tales of games to the US (only about half of the Tales of series has been localized outside of Japan).
Report Spam   Logged

TIGER STYLE: Wii'Nite clan ain't nuthin' to **** with  \\//\\// <== My dubayew

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

JabbaScrub
Founding Member
WU R teh 1337

PSN: Jabbanero
Xbox Live: JabbaScript

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 12:06:54 pm »

cngrats pillow you win teh gfit cerd
Report Spam   Logged

3DS FC:  2638-0027-7848
The Krazy One
The Nintendo Guy
Administrator
WU Pwn

Clan: TaKeOver
Nintendo Network ID: TKrazyO

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 12:35:17 pm »

I read the requirements and you already broke the one about making every topic (I'm guessing every review) a poll.

This game is more of an enhanced port than a remake.
Report Spam   Logged

"Use the pain of loss! The power comes in response to a need, not a desire!"

"The power comes in response to a need! You have to create that need!" -Goku, Dragonball Z
MrPillow
WiiUnite's Fluffifier
WU Pwn

STR8 SLAMMIN'

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 12:50:53 pm »

I read the requirements and you already broke the one about making every topic (I'm guessing every review) a poll.

This game is more of an enhanced port than a remake.

it was 5am gimme a break, i added the poll.
Report Spam   Logged

The Krazy One
The Nintendo Guy
Administrator
WU Pwn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 01:32:34 pm »

And I fixed the poll for you. It was 1pm when you put the poll up. There was no excuse.  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

"The power comes in response to a need! You have to create that need!" -Goku, Dragonball Z
MrPillow
WiiUnite's Fluffifier
WU Pwn

STR8 SLAMMIN'

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 01:34:14 pm »

what was wrong?
Report Spam   Logged

The Krazy One
The Nintendo Guy
Administrator
WU Pwn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 01:41:40 pm »

Forgot the w in review and didn't put the somewhat option.
Report Spam   Logged

MrPillow
WiiUnite's Fluffifier
WU Pwn

STR8 SLAMMIN'

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 01:42:19 pm »

shhhh....
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up