Banner
Xtra Smileys
[Open]
We Unite Gaming
March 29, 2024, 01:19:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to We Unite Gaming!
Formerly Wii Unite/Wii Unite Gaming

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Youtube Channel Chatbox Staff List Login Register  

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2  (Read 421 times)
Tiger
honrary abmin
WU R teh 1337

Xbox Live: TIGERSHARK27

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2012, 02:22:37 am »

System: Xbox 360
Reviewing: Entire game
Last Played:  It's on right now

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is another instalment by Activision and Infinity Ward for the Call of Duty series, released November 10th, 2009.  Although CoD: 4 was a tough act to follow, Modern Warfare 2 is a great sequel.  The game is exciting, fast-paced, and fun to pick up and play with your friends in both the new Special Ops. mode, and the famed CoD multiplayer which has been slightly tweaked from it's predecessor.

Graphics:
The graphics in MW2 are some of the best graphics CoD has seen to date, and though no longer matching the graphics of a modern PC on the 360, are quite adequate enough for them not to be distracting.

Sound:
The sound of guns firing and other equipment is fairly accurate, but could also be improved.  The guns sound almost plastic-like at times, and not as powerful as they should.  The music score by Hans Zimmer is well done, as he never fails to impress me.

Campaign:
Modern Warfare 2 carries off from where CoD: 4 left the story; again in the future, with a new Russian terrorist named Vladimir Makarov as the antagonist.  Though rather short, the MW2 campaign engages the player into the role of a soldier and a real character better than any CoD to date, though MW3 isn't far behind.  The campaign has a balanced mix of stealth combat, street firefights, and vehicular warfare, and keeps you on your toes so you won't know what to expect next, and to keep things new.  Call of Duty clearly focuses more on the multiplayer than the single player, which is evident in the plot moving very quickly and not being quite as immersive as it could be, like the Halo series.

Special Ops.:
A brand new mode introduced by Infinity Ward, 'Spec Ops' is a mode where you and a friend can complete random assorted missions based on areas from the campaign.  This includes assaulting enemy positions, eliminating targets, stealthily making it across to an objective, and even controlling aircraft while your buddy travels on foot.  Though not terribly time consuming, Special Ops. is a fun mode to pick up and play leisurely with your friends, and is compatible split-screen as well.

Multiplayer:
The multiplayer, Call of Duty's biggest and most popular focal point, was a hit-and-miss.  Frustrating perks such as Commando, Danger Close, and the lack of oversight in the implementation of One Man Army made the game frustrating at times, and unbalanced many objective modes.  Blast Shield is almost utterly useless and isn't logical to be set as equipment.  As usual, the Assault Rifles dominate gameplay in popularity, and ease of use.  Some weapons are also too ahead of others in it's category often being referred to 'over-powered' or 'OP'.  This includes the UMP45 (SMG), SPAS-12 by many, and the Model 1887 akimbo variant (before patch 1.07 which reduced the range).  Perk balance was also an issue, where some perks were clearly better choices in their colour category and others were rarely used.  The blue perk tier is balanced quite well, though Sleight of Hand was the most common choice.  The red tier, having the best two perks (Cold-Blooded and Stopping Power, made the other three rarely used, other than those that relied on explosives.  Stopping Power was eliminated in the following Call of Duty games, showing that they recognized their mistake in keeping it there from CoD: 4.  For yellow perks, Ninja and SitRep were the only two smart choices, unless you had difficulty aiming.  Last Stand was more annoying to the enemy than anything else and rarely helped the user, and Scrambler was more of a disadvantage as it gave away your exact location.  The new killstreak options is a widely debated change.  Though some prefer the simpler gameplay where you don't rely on killstreaks to raise your K/D Ratio and camp for them, others like the added options and believe it adds more diversity in game modes.  The tactical nuke was a bad idea though, and just caused boosting in Free-For-Alls, and additional camping for killstreaks.
          Though there are definitely some cons for the multiplayer as listed, Call of Duty's multiplayer is still a very engaging and addicting one.  The addition of new game modes and a balanced levelling system work well, and unless in a regular TDM, well planned teamwork will usually prevail in objective game modes, even if you don't have the best players, which is a positive.  It's fast-paced, and keeps the player wanting to come back for more -- exactly what a FPS should do.

Overall, Call of Duty: Moden Warfare 2 is a very enjoyable first-person shooter all around and even with it's age, is still a very enjoyable game to play by yourself, and even better if you have a party to play with.  I recommend this game to anyone who is looking to have fun in a FPS and STILL HAS FRIENDS TO PLAY WITH.  Clearly MW3 has also come out and Black Ops II is near release.  This game is only currently worth it IF you have enough for a small party.  Otherwise, play with your friends:  you will have more fun with that.

My rating:  8.8/10
Report Spam   Logged

thanks Tiger, now i can say **** without getting random asterisks.

R.I.P. MoHH2 11/13/07 - 8/11/11

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ps358
WU Guru

Xbox Live: xKratic FTW

I'm Kilometer Peter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 07:13:11 am »

Ummm.... Ok
Report Spam   Logged

nice auto lock on the sniper rifle, i know a hack when i see it. use a real gun.

Tiger
honrary abmin
WU R teh 1337

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 03:29:27 am »

Do you have a problem with the review?  I thought I'd contribute to the board, I'm sorry if you have a problem with that.  Feel free to critique.
Report Spam   Logged

Ps358
WU Guru

I'm Kilometer Peter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 07:01:38 am »

Just... Random...
Report Spam   Logged

nice auto lock on the sniper rifle, i know a hack when i see it. use a real gun.

Autumn1194
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 08:34:57 am »

MW2 was the best call of duty! The maps and guns were amazing, they should have put more snipers though. I also didn't really like the campaign all that much, I think MW, Black ops and MW3 had better ones, black ops being the best imo.

Report Spam   Logged
Tiger
honrary abmin
WU R teh 1337

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 02:51:21 am »

I found Black Ops' campaign to be the least engaging personally.
Report Spam   Logged

TH3 NAZ1
WU Smash Yo Face

Clan: Nazi
PSN: SpRayZz-N-PrAyZz
Xbox Live: Don't have one.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 06:06:04 am »

Ummm.... Ok
Leave.
Report Spam   Logged

*gets joker a bong*
Joker
WU Guru

PSN: oDUBSTEPo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 12:12:11 pm »

hahaha the blast shield.  who the fuck uses that?
Report Spam   Logged
TH3 NAZ1
WU Smash Yo Face

Clan: Nazi
Xbox Live: Don't have one.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 10:51:36 pm »

hahaha the blast shield.  who the fuck uses that?
Me!
Report Spam   Logged

*gets joker a bong*
Joker
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 03:01:00 am »

It was seriously the dumbest thing put in CoD.   Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Ps358
WU Guru

I'm Kilometer Peter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 07:16:04 am »

It was only good for ninja defusing because it blocks stuns.
Report Spam   Logged

Tiger
honrary abmin
WU R teh 1337

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 07:17:47 am »

Yes, but that feature was more helpful than the actually stopping of explosive damage.  It also doesn't make sense to have it as equipment.  How does that even work, turning it on and off?  So much for CoD trying to be realistic. (outside of perks)
Report Spam   Logged

Joker
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 12:12:18 pm »

It was only good for ninja defusing because it blocks stuns.

oh yeah!  I totally forgot about that!  When I played MW2 I only played SnD.  On offence I'd use the Riot Shield and on D I'd ninja defuse.  Can't believe I forgot about that.  I always used it too. 

It never "blocked" the stun.  You still got stunned but the person who threw the stun didn't get a hitmarker.  sneaky sneaky ninja.
Report Spam   Logged
Rulep
WU Ensign

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 10:20:09 pm »

I don't see why I would type a review about a game that is very well known. Everyone knows about this game, and I don't know its just my opinion.
Report Spam   Logged

Sexy 700 pound man looking for a hot anime girl as a suitable partner. Call me.

Why Christmas Can Be Annoying:
http://wiiunite.smfforfree3.com/index.php/topic,24343.0.html
Tiger
honrary abmin
WU R teh 1337

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 10:57:00 pm »

For one, there weren't many reviews on this board and I wanted to review a game that I was very familiar with.  Many people still play both MW1 and MW2.  Some people also like hearing reviews/opinions by people they know, not just random people that they have no familiarity with.

If you don't want to read it, don't.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: