Banner
Xtra Smileys
[Open]
We Unite Gaming
March 28, 2024, 02:46:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to We Unite Gaming!
Formerly Wii Unite/Wii Unite Gaming

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Youtube Channel Chatbox Staff List Login Register  

Realm of the Mad God review/critique

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Realm of the Mad God review/critique  (Read 213 times)
Squire Grooktook
Brain Fusion Recipient
Founding Member
WU Pwn

Clan: I WALK ALONE AND CHOOSE MY OWN PATH
PSN: Groucho2

Hallowed be The Game

View Profile WWW
« on: May 07, 2013, 12:36:09 am »

Not gonna use your format cause I'm a rebel and can't play by the rules

-*AHEM*-

Boring top down shooter meets mmo hybrid.

You wander around a big empty map getting random generic **** thrown at you by random generic enemies. That's basically all you do, with no real variety and not a ton of motivation unless you really like...uhhhh...

Despite claiming to be a bullet hell type game, there's not a lot of skill or finesse here. Your hitbox is really big, and most threats are more a matter of staying at a safe distance then actually dodging or weaving through projectiles. The whole concept of the games combat just doesn't work, because every time things start to get hairy or the slightest bit interesting (or should I say cheap given the clunky hit box and enemy design), the correct way to play is just to run the **** away and avoid the confrontation altogether, or at least place yourself far enough away that you can snipe from a distance. The design of the games combat is not conductive to excitement, it doesn't feel innately good or satisfying either (Space Invaders on the Atari had more of a satisfying sense of destruction!), and with the simplified rpg elements, there's little real strategy or preparation.

There's not much progression or sense of adventure either. There's some random dungeons you can get trapped in, but they're just more of the same top down meandering. There's a random final boss event, but it's more of the same random **** getting thrown at you. The game tries to make things exciting by including perma-death as a motivating factor for not dyeing, but it's hard to care because the whole game is spent doing the same thing endlessly. And that thing (the top down meandering and clunky combat) is incredibly uninteresting and thoughtless. There's no payoff for the monotony either.

The whole design of the game feels poorly thought out and executed. What is the point of a role playing game hybrid if it's impossible to get immersed, feel the atmosphere, or role play? There's no atmosphere or immersion, the same half-assed 'retro' chip tune loops endlessly, the sprite art is uninteresting and merely a cover up for a lack of an art budget, there's no sense of actually exploring or going anywhere because the whole game plays the same, there's no progression/adventure or sense of making your way to a climax because nothing ever changes and the final boss is more of the same (on top of being a random event), and there's no story or even just a damn npc village to get you feeling like you're actually exploring a world rather then goofing off on a big empty top down map.

I should mention the game can be less boring with a friend, but then what isn't?

I'm not even going to say the game is better than World of Warcraft. WoW might be a grindy monotonous piece of ****, but at least it provides a world to explore with some interesting environments. This game has nothing, and the best thing about it is that you can see everything that's there to be seen in a relatively short time, thus letting you discard it and forget it exists. Personally, I wouldn't bother in the first place.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

TH3 NAZ1
WU Smash Yo Face

Clan: Nazi
PSN: SpRayZz-N-PrAyZz
Xbox Live: Don't have one.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 05:54:08 am »

This game may suck, but I've made $100 off of it. Yes, that is real money lol.
Report Spam   Logged

PSN: SpRayZz-N-PrAyZz
*gets joker a bong*
Rulep
WU Ensign

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 03:44:55 pm »

Dedicate 40 minutes to it and you'll see pretty much all the game has to offer. If you aren't into it after that, give it a pass. It gets pretty crazy when you have 40-50 people around you, fighting a big boss and your screen is just a mess of bullets and spells, though it's sometimes more a pain than anything else when you can't tell whats an enemy bullet or a friendly bullet, so sometimes you just get burst down because you can't see what's what.

This game became boring for me after the new developers took over and added a bunch of undedicated garbage  to the game.
Report Spam   Logged

Sexy 700 pound man looking for a hot anime girl as a suitable partner. Call me.

Why Christmas Can Be Annoying:
http://wiiunite.smfforfree3.com/index.php/topic,24343.0.html
Squire Grooktook
Brain Fusion Recipient
Founding Member
WU Pwn

Hallowed be The Game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 04:42:24 pm »

This game may suck, but I've made $100 off of it. Yes, that is real money lol.
WHAT DID YOU BUY WITH IT???
Report Spam   Logged

JabbaScrub
Founding Member
WU R teh 1337

PSN: Jabbanero
Xbox Live: JabbaScript

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 08:10:22 pm »

Play on an empty server, just you vs. the Mad God. Then tell me there aren't enough bullets.
Report Spam   Logged

3DS FC:  2638-0027-7848
Squire Grooktook
Brain Fusion Recipient
Founding Member
WU Pwn

Hallowed be The Game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 01:00:25 am »

Play on an empty server, just you vs. the Mad God. Then tell me there aren't enough bullets.
Someone didn't read my post. I never said there weren't enough bullets.

The original Gradius has much fewer projectiles and hazards on screen, but it's a thousand times more skillful and enjoyable a game.

As I said, the problem with the game is the design. The hitbox is way too damn big for a "bullet hell" type game, and the whole free roaming design does not work well with a shooter. Every time things get harsh, you don't actually have to do any dodging or weaving, all you have to do is run away or at least back up enough that you can snipe everything. In theory you could fight at close range, but the ginormous hitbox, generally too slow move speed, and incredibly random nature of the game makes that an unnecessary death wish.

Pro tip: there's a large number of game design reasons why 90% of shoot em ups have hitboxes smaller then the actual sprite.

Imagine if in Gradius or R-Type or whatever old school shmup, if every time things started to get hard you could literally just turn around and go the other way, and then slowly chip away at every threat until you were able to leisurely stroll by. Not fun.

Add to that that the whole game is a mish mosh of rng, with poorly designed enemies thrown at you at random by the procedural generation based world, and you have a recipe for a game that utterly fails to capture the finesse and intensity of a true shooter.

It sucks as an rpg too.
Report Spam   Logged

JabbaScrub
Founding Member
WU R teh 1337

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 09:06:33 pm »

I just wanted to post something.  Tongue  I played the game for a few weeks last year. It's a neat little game but most of the points you listed are spot-on. It's still pretty good considering it was intended as a quick little project. IIRC, the developer made this in a game jam using stock sprites.
Report Spam   Logged

Squire Grooktook
Brain Fusion Recipient
Founding Member
WU Pwn

Hallowed be The Game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 10:20:50 pm »

Yeah, if you're going to excuse it and say "well it's a first project" then okay that's understandable. I just try to hold up things to a more universal set of standards.
Report Spam   Logged

JabbaScrub
Founding Member
WU R teh 1337

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 08:28:09 pm »

Well I mean, look at the sprites.. You really can't expect too much from it.

Report Spam   Logged

Squire Grooktook
Brain Fusion Recipient
Founding Member
WU Pwn

Hallowed be The Game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 08:43:14 pm »

Well I mean, look at the sprites.. You really can't expect too much from it.

There are devs who have low budgets for art yet still put together good games. I know several games which have similarly lazy art styles but are better designed games.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: