Banner
Xtra Smileys
[Open]
We Unite Gaming
April 18, 2024, 10:18:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to We Unite Gaming!
Formerly Wii Unite/Wii Unite Gaming

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Youtube Channel Chatbox Staff List Login Register  

New Minecraft world: Rules and Stuff

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Minecraft world: Rules and Stuff  (Read 839 times)
Turboweasle
Administrator
WU Guru

PSN: Turboweasle

Turboweasle: everyone's favorite speedy rodent

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2013, 07:08:29 pm »

So we've got a new world in Minecraft, and I've messed around with a lot of the new features, such as setting up teams.  That's what this topic is about.

The "teams" are Soldiers, Civilians, Bandits, and Wanderers.  Here's a breakdown of each team.

Soldiers: This team is kind of the army of the main (and so far only) city.  Their job is to protect civilians from Bandits and mobs.  This is an active team that needs to patrol the city every night, as well as look for bandits and defend the city from raids.  Soldiers cannot harm other soldiers of the same city.  Soldiers from different cities can attack each other, and cities can declare war on one another.

Civilians: These are your generic residents of cities/villages.  They are not combat-oriented, but instead work to improve their cities/villages by supplying iron ingots to the guard as well as building shops, houses, barracks, walls, etc.  Probably the most important team there is.  Although they are not combat-oriented, they can defend themselves if they have the resources.  Civilians cannot harm civilians.

Bandits: Pretty much what you'd expect.  They raid towns, villages, and cities (if they can) to supply themselves with food and weapons.  If spotted approaching a city, they will be attacked on sight by the city guard.  Bandits can hurt other bandits.

Wanderers: The wildcard.  Solitary and reclusive, you don't see these in cities very often, and although they are tolerated in cities, they are watched by the city guard very closely.  Wanderers can hurt other wanderers, and call ally themselves with whichever team they wish.

So that's pretty much it for teams.  Now for the rules.  Stealing and killing aren't prohibited (you won't get banned for it necessarily), but you will likely be killed for it, especially if you're in a city.  You will be banned for griefing.  Civilians and soldiers need to work together to improve their cities and to stay safe from bandits and mobs.  And most importantly, the first "team" to procure the Dragon Egg will be able to declare a king among them to sit on the Blood Throne.  Luckily, if the king sucks, the residents of the city where the Blood Throne resides can declare a rebellion.  If the king is killed, the team that killed him may declare their own king.  If you're reading this, send me a message here or on the xat saying "porcupines" to be allowed on the server.  To declare a rebellion, 50% of the residents of a city must post here or message me declaring they wish to rebel, at which point I will start a "quest" using server commands to kill the current king.

Updated Rules:

- Bandits are the only ones that can steal from cities now (we need to incentivize people to pick Bandit)
- Horses are off limits for stealing since they're so rare around most settlements

Updated rules 8/24/2013:

- To balance the issue of bandits stealing things, a new rule will be in effect on Monday, August 26th, that requires everyone to have an easily visible sign on their house displaying who owns the house.  If you have such a sign, your house cannot be stolen from if you are not online.  If you don't have such a sign by Monday, your house is free game regardless of whether or not you're online, and you will not be given anything back.

- Because it gives an unfair advantage to primarily bandits, the gamerule "keepInventory" will be turned OFF on Monday.  This means you will drop your items upon dying.

Updated rules 8/27/2013:

If you think changing all your materials (Diamond, Iron, Gold, Coal, Lapis, Emeralds, Glowstone and Redstone) into blocks and placing them somewhere in your house will keep those items safe from bandits, You're wrong. They are still able to steal it!
(They still may not take Redstone that is part of a Redstone circuitry, Redstone lamps, Glowstone that is owned by a city, Bookshelves and Quarts)

Bandits cannot break blocks to get into someones house if there's an entrance that is already made.

The nether and strongholds are now open!!!! so please do not mess with someone's nether portal. that is basically grieving.

(Thanks for taking care of that, Autumn.)

Sound good?  Any questions, post them here.  The server is on Hard difficulty, so mobs will be more of a challenge.  Have fun!

P.S.  The Blood Throne is in the city at X: -530, Y: 64, Z: 151.  Stick close to there if you wish to participate with all the teams and stuff.  If you want to go out and do your own thing, you can (I'd suggest picking Wanderer in that case).

EDIT:

A few things about the spawn have been updated.

With the addition of our newest "city" (which I'll get to in a second), I've added some variation to some of the class selections.

Civilian: Civilians can now choose to live in the first city or the second.  Their roles are pretty much the same.

Soldier: If you pick "a soldier stationed in the wilds", you will be a soldier in the second city and will be on a different team than the soldiers in the first city (we really need names for these cities).

Wanderer: If you choose the wanderer class, you'll have 3 starting places.  The first is where it's always been, about a day's journey to the first city.  The second is a jungle not too close to any city.  The third is nearby the second city.  Wanderers, you are welcomed in the second city.  However, your presence in the first city will not be treated the way it has up to this point.  You won't be attacked on sight, but anything you do that could be construed as aggressive/destructive will allow the city soldiers to attack you.

Now, about the second city.  It's a few days' worth of travel away from the first city, but it's not so far apart that residents of the two cities will never interact.  Additionally, it's much more of an "outpost" kind of city than the first, meaning it has far fewer regulations on what you can build and where, but also is more vulnerable to bandits and may not be defended as well as the first.

Since I've added some stuff that deals with the classes, I'm going to allow people to choose their class again.  Just talk to me either on the xat or the MC chat if you'd like to change (or here, though there's less of a guarantee I'll do it soon).

Any questions, feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 11:32:01 am by Turboweasle » Report Spam   Logged

"And I also told the students that, for the sake of humanity's future, I hoped they were all sterile." - Ignatius Reilly.
Never mind what your daughter is taught in school; what she remembers is what she has learned from you.
Anti-Noob Fortress of Veteraness Council Member
~Turboweasle~

I NEVER squeeze my jubblies, so that stuff wouldn't work for me.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

MrGuppy
WU Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 07:49:38 pm »

Can you post what color's the teams are?
Report Spam   Logged
Turboweasle
Administrator
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 07:50:40 pm »

Bandits = red
Civilians = blue
Guards = gold
Wanderers = dark green
Report Spam   Logged

"And I also told the students that, for the sake of humanity's future, I hoped they were all sterile." - Ignatius Reilly.
Never mind what your daughter is taught in school; what she remembers is what she has learned from you.
~Turboweasle~

Oomomo953
WU Fantasy Football Champion
WU Pwn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 08:37:00 pm »

Cool someone be a bandit with me.
Report Spam   Logged

Autumn1194
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 12:43:09 am »

WANDERERS FTW
Report Spam   Logged
ElieSaysHi
WU Recruit

Clan: Hi
PSN: ElieSaysHi

I spend my life on the internet cos I'm unsociable

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 09:02:54 pm »

WANDERERS FTW
Agreed, fellow wanderer.
Report Spam   Logged
Autumn
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 09:03:52 pm »

Tongue haha
Report Spam   Logged
Turboweasle
Administrator
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 11:53:02 pm »

You damn mercs.  Angry

Also Autumn, I put my horse in the pen with your horses.  It's only temporary so I hope you don't mind.  If you do mind I'll move them as soon as I get back online.
Report Spam   Logged

~Turboweasle~

Autumn1194
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 12:29:45 am »

Turbo, the server is being lame.... It made me get killed by a creeper and now when I try to log back in, it keeps dropping me out of the spawn box into the lake below it.  Angry
Report Spam   Logged
Autumn1194
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 12:40:09 am »

nevermind... it started working again. It must have been my internet.
Report Spam   Logged
Turboweasle
Administrator
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 08:15:41 am »

I'm going to make it so that if you die after you've chosen a class it doesn't spawn you back up there if you die.  That is a bit of a hassle.
Report Spam   Logged

~Turboweasle~

Autumn1194
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 01:30:48 am »

WHERE IS THE SERVER!?!?
Report Spam   Logged
Turboweasle
Administrator
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 12:31:56 am »

Jabba, you need to get back on the server or you won't be able to build stuff when you log back on later.
Report Spam   Logged

~Turboweasle~

Turboweasle
Administrator
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 10:17:28 am »

Okay, the server's been updated so that you keep your inventory when you die, and mob griefing (aka creepers blowing stuff up, among other things) has been disabled, mainly due to the fact that there's now a large creeper hole in the middle of the market that someone evidently couldn't be bothered to fix.  Creepers will still kill you, so don't go around thinking they can't harm you.

I'm able to change the server to hardcore (where you're banned upon death), but that takes a bit too much manual effort when it comes to unbanning someone, so for now we're just keeping it on hard difficulty and calling it a day.

On that note, I'm thinking about switching us to a Bukkit server and installing some plugins.  What do you guys think?
Report Spam   Logged

~Turboweasle~

Autumn
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 11:36:38 am »

I still don't fully understand plugins
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: