Banner
Xtra Smileys
[Open]
We Unite Gaming
March 28, 2024, 11:15:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to We Unite Gaming!
Formerly Wii Unite/Wii Unite Gaming

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Youtube Channel Chatbox Staff List Login Register  

"Documentary" Behind the Making of The Last of Us

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Documentary" Behind the Making of The Last of Us  (Read 178 times)
DoubleGunz
Founding Member
WU Smash Yo Face

PSN: DoubleGunz

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2014, 03:54:50 pm »

This is a "documentary" behind the creation of the game The Last of Us. I think it's a pretty important/interesting watch for anyone. Especially people that doubt/don't understand how video games are rising up to become better at story telling than any other medium. This game is by far the best representation (as of now) of what can happen if a game combines gameplay/story telling correctly.

It may not be my favourite, but it is arguably the best game ever made. (If not for its gameplay, but how it marries it with story telling/characters/music/sound, like I just said.)

This video shows how much thought/care is put in to the game, and their attention to detail. It also shows how stupid it is that the general public would label a game as violent as this "bad". Its violence is meaningful, and as described by the director in the video - it is necessary, and you're not supposed to like it.

I recommend this video to everyone. It may change your perspective on games. ok bye
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

JabbaScrub
Founding Member
WU R teh 1337

PSN: Jabbanero
Xbox Live: JabbaScript

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 04:35:42 am »

I can't wait to play this game. I'm borrow-trading Dark Souls for it from my gf's sister soon.  Cheesy  Any tips going in? What not to do, how not to think, what not to expect?
Report Spam   Logged

3DS FC:  2638-0027-7848
DoubleGunz
Founding Member
WU Smash Yo Face

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 07:50:03 am »

Uhh.. I assume you would realise this, but that video is 100% spoilers. So yeah.  Tongue

All I can say is don't expect perfection, that's the worst thing you can do. That can totally ruin any game for you immediately. I would also say that you shouldn't expect "super action hero fun". I definitely had fun quite a bit, but it's more of an overall experience. Also, headset is best... and a dark room even better (at night). Immerse yourself in the game.  Azn

I forget if you can play on survival mode from the beginning of the game... if not, at least choose hard. The harder the game, the better. Unless you don't trust yourself to do well, really all it does is deprive you of more materials for crafting things. Also, survival mode takes out the ability to 'see enemies you can hear' through walls. It's a silly ability anyways, so it's better without it.

But yeah, the harder it is the more it feels like you're desperately trying to survive. Good times.  Cool

Report Spam   Logged

xFaberDrivex
WU Spec. Ops

Clan: M1
PSN: murder1Faber

This... Is... War...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 02:31:31 pm »

Survivor mode only unlocks after the first playthrough DG, probably to familiarize yourself with the game first. Try not to use listening mode to make the game even more enjoyable and if you ever feel like trying survivor difficulty, you'll know what to expect without using listening.
Hmmm tips I can give, search every nook and cranny possible in all areas, explore the environment, Ellie can point out some fun things. Oh, don't waste shivs on clickers or hunters unless you absolutely need to! Try to save them for shiv doors. Bricks and bottles are your best friends, especially bricks! Don't underestimate your bow either!

Online tips: don't run out thinking you're playing Call of Duty, this game is a completely different environment, where teamwork wins you games. Craft a melee weapon whenever you get a 2x4, it sticks with you until you use it. Mark your enemies everytime so your team knows where they are! and sprint only when needed.

This game was a lot of fun, definitely a game that makes it into my favourites.
Report Spam   Logged

DoubleGunz
Founding Member
WU Smash Yo Face

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 02:46:38 pm »

Bricks are beautiful.
Report Spam   Logged

¤Saucelot¤
Liter of SoL
Administrator
WU Pwn

Clan: Sons of Liberty [SoL]
Xbox Live: AtThatHardScope

Two Scoops Please, thanks.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 02:49:25 am »

I had a great time playing the last of us, definitely ranks up there with some of my favorite games of all time.  When I was playing it, I was never too scarce on items, I sound whored through every single combat scenario though.  Couldn't imagine what it would be like w/o using that feature.  I recommend it to everyone with a ps3.
Report Spam   Logged

xFaberDrivex
WU Spec. Ops

This... Is... War...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 10:40:23 am »

Definitely depends on the difficulty you play on, the more you ramp it up, the harder they are to find. Think I only had about 4-5 molotovs and nail bombs through my entire first playthrough on survivor. Wouldn't be too worried about ammo and health kits though, the less ammo you have, the more likely hunters will drop some for you. Ellie usually gives you a health kit if you're running low too.

Listen mode was a great feature, without it though, it brings a new edge to the game forcing you to think more and be a ton more patient. Happy they kept it in the multiplayer though.
Report Spam   Logged

DoubleGunz
Founding Member
WU Smash Yo Face

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 12:39:50 pm »

Yeah, like I said the game is definitely at its best in Survivor mode. It completely boosts the survival horror element. Getting a bomb or molotov felt like a miracle every time you come across/build one. I didn't play on anything less than Hard, but I can't imagine doing so. I'm afraid to find out how common things are in easy mode. It makes sense for people that moreso want the story/atmospheric elements, though.
Report Spam   Logged

xFaberDrivex
WU Spec. Ops

This... Is... War...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 03:25:00 pm »

Yeah even having those bombs and molotovs, you never wanted to use them until you absolutely needed to.
I went on easy so I could get the shiv doors no problem and I was basically able to speed run through the whole game within 2 hours because of all the supplies and ammo laying about.
Report Spam   Logged

DoubleGunz
Founding Member
WU Smash Yo Face

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 04:43:43 pm »

Oh yeah, I did that too actually. I missed one of the doors and had to go back for the platinum.  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: