Banner
Xtra Smileys
[Open]
We Unite Gaming
March 28, 2024, 12:17:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to We Unite Gaming!
Formerly Wii Unite/Wii Unite Gaming

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Youtube Channel Chatbox Staff List Login Register  

Formula 1

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Formula 1  (Read 241 times)
Ress
WU Guru

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2014, 10:34:31 pm »

After I joined my school's Formula SAE team, I soon found out about the type of work that goes into building a race car from almost scratch.  I only wanted to get some experience in designing and working in teams, I didn't really care for the sport.

But then I decided to watch this past Australian Grand Prix after hearing about the changes teams have had to make to their power units for this season.  I was interested at how a Formula car - which is supposed to be the pinnacle of racing - would do with a small, turbocharged V6 engine (also helping out are two motor generators) compared to the past Formulas running V12s to V8s.  So I gave the race a watch and it was amazing watching the amount of strategy that is involved in driving in circles.  The only problem is that I had almost no idea what was going.  Someone explain Formula 1 to me. 
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kreater
Global Moderator
WU Pwn

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 10:51:30 pm »

Yes, push a pedal, go in circles.  Don't run out of gas,  and change the oil/tires every once in a while.  That's pretty much it!
Report Spam   Logged

Ress
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 11:13:16 pm »

How about all of the technical stuff though...

For example, why does each car only get 5 of each item in the power unit for 19 races.  They get 5 engines, 5 MGU-Ks, 5 MGU-Hs, 5 energy stores, 5 control electronics, and 5 turbochargers.  I believe they are also limited in the amount of tires they are allowed to use.  Is this to test the reliability of the parts in the cars or is this just something arbitrary the head honcho came up with?

When it comes to the DRS (Drag Reduction System), why is it only allowed to be used on certain areas of the track? 

In the most recent Australian GP, right from the start, before the first turn, one driver, Kobayashi, lost control of his car and took out another driver, Massa, from the race.  Does Massa get any kind of compensation for someone else's mistake or is it just his tough luck?  Does the team of Kobayashi have to pay the team of Massa for damages? 

The last Grand Prix is in Abu Dhabi.  Is this just another race to get points, or is this considered the championship race?  If this sin;t the championship race, is there one or is the champion based on who has accrued the most circuit point over 19 races?

Going back to the Kobayashi incident, he will probably getting penalty points tacked on to his license.  What does this mean at the end of the season?  Say he end up with 52 points after Abu Dhabi and over the course of the 19 races he has 3 penalty points.  Does his total point count become 49 or what?

Why does each team get to race two cars?  Why is there a third driver on each team, the test driver? 

Let's look at the Mercedes team.  There are two main drivers, Rosberg and Hamilton.  They are both running in the same car, the W05.  Is Rosberg's car tuned and set up a little differently than Hamilton's to suit his needs, whatever those may be?

Speaking of the needs of drivers, what are the different racing styles?  Which driving styles have historically been better than others?  have there been any truly reckless drivers?

Why is Lotus considered the one of the worst teams right now?  What's wrong with Ferrari?

Why are there only 3 different types of engines (Mercedes, Renault, Ferrari) being used by 11 teams?  Do some teams let other teams use their chassis designs?  Aero designs?  For example, could Force India make a car using a chassis and engine made by Mercedes, or does force India have to produce their own chassis?  Are engines the only components of the vehicle that are allowed to be 'shared'?

These are just some of the things that I'm curious about.  If there's something cool and special that you want to share about the sport then let me know.
Report Spam   Logged

Ress
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 11:37:38 pm »

Also, the Mercedes, McLaren and and Williams are using an engine developed by Mercedes-Benz, the PU106A Hybrid.  This is the engine being used in these 6 (two cars for each of these 3 teams) formula cars. 

I want to know if Mercedes is allowed to use the PU106A engine in their upcoming road cars?  Would Mercedes have to scale down the power output of this engine (running at 600HP without the MGUs) if they want to use it their next S-Class?

Also, when can we start to see these super cool motor generators in cars?
Report Spam   Logged

Autumn1194
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 12:08:18 am »

Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
CitizenSoldier3
The RPG Noob
WU Smash Yo Face

Clan: DP/NBK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 05:23:56 pm »

Any racing makes me think of bubba j from jeff dunham
Report Spam   Logged

[img ]http://s1132.photobucket.com/user/Autumn200/media/TMNT_zpsd9b272a5.jpg[/img ]

Wise man say, "Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."
Permanent Poopface
Founding Member
WU Guru

Clan: vT

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 05:59:49 pm »

I like the Radical, its a fun car
Report Spam   Logged

Crzy
No Mercy
Founding Member
WU Pwn

Clan: R3D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 05:39:31 pm »

How about all of the technical stuff though...

For example, why does each car only get 5 of each item in the power unit for 19 races.  They get 5 engines, 5 MGU-Ks, 5 MGU-Hs, 5 energy stores, 5 control electronics, and 5 turbochargers.  I believe they are also limited in the amount of tires they are allowed to use.  Is this to test the reliability of the parts in the cars or is this just something arbitrary the head honcho came up with?

This basically puts all teams at an even playing field. That way the big money earners of the sport(Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes, etc) don't outclass the people in the back that never place in the top 10. If the top teams get careless with their cars and push too hard in the early races then they'll risk having no back-up parts at the end of the season.

Some tracks put WAY more strain on the engines and brakes than others. Singapore is a night race that's very brake heavy and then there are tracks like Silverstone that have pretty much 0 braking for 80% of the track and those can strain the engines.

When it comes to the DRS (Drag Reduction System), why is it only allowed to be used on certain areas of the track? 

DRS is only used on the straights. That way they have enough room and time to break because the DRS gives them a 10+ MPH speed gain.

In the most recent Australian GP, right from the start, before the first turn, one driver, Kobayashi, lost control of his car and took out another driver, Massa, from the race.  Does Massa get any kind of compensation for someone else's mistake or is it just his tough luck?  Does the team of Kobayashi have to pay the team of Massa for damages?

As far as I know it's pretty much tough luck for your race results. Both teams get 0 points toward the 3 different championships. I don't believe there's a penalty given to the team unless the driver did an unsafe block or pass. Then they will get fined based on the severity of the crashes they caused. First corner crashes are kind of common so I doubt anyone gets a penalty on the first lap.

The last Grand Prix is in Abu Dhabi.  Is this just another race to get points, or is this considered the championship race?  If this sin;t the championship race, is there one or is the champion based on who has accrued the most circuit point over 19 races?

ALL races are important because the more points your team has, the more money the FIA gives the teams to go toward R&D or parts. There's no championship race because if someone is dominating for most of the season, then technically they could win the DRIVER'S championship before the last 4 races even happen. But again, ALL races are important because there's also the Constructor's Championship and I believe Team Championship. If a team is consistently scoring in the top 10 they can win the Constructor's and Team Championships but lose the driver's championship.

Going back to the Kobayashi incident, he will probably getting penalty points tacked on to his license.  What does this mean at the end of the season?  Say he end up with 52 points after Abu Dhabi and over the course of the 19 races he has 3 penalty points.  Does his total point count become 49 or what?

Haven't heard anything about driver's getting penalty points for crashing. They just get a Retirement and score 0 points as far as I know. Teams hate DNF's(Did Not Finish) because it means only one of their drivers could have scored them points rather than both.

Why does each team get to race two cars?  Why is there a third driver on each team, the test driver? 
This would be the Team aspect for the Team Championship. Each team designates a #1 driver and a #2 driver. Team's are kind of my favorite aspect because technically the #2 driver is supposed to be a support role but there have been times when that was disregarded by the driver because they had a desire to win themselves. Third driver is the reserve in case someone gets sick or something.

^This is what got me into F1. It was the very first race I watched and man was it awesome to see.

Let's look at the Mercedes team.  There are two main drivers, Rosberg and Hamilton.  They are both running in the same car, the W05.  Is Rosberg's car tuned and set up a little differently than Hamilton's to suit his needs, whatever those may be?

They do have different setups based on the driver's style I believe. Or if the team wants to test a new setup, they usually give it to the secondary driver. Not to mention they try out setups to test for next year. On one driver they'll give more back wing for downforce and better cornering and on the other they'll have a smaller wing for more top speed.

Speaking of the needs of drivers, what are the different racing styles?  Which driving styles have historically been better than others?  have there been any truly reckless drivers?
Only been watching since 2010 but you can definitely see the different styles. Some drivers will push when their team tells them to slow down(Vettel and current 4 time champion in a row) while others will do as their told.

Sergio Perez was a VERY aggressive driver last season. Look out for him this year because I think he's changed to a different team as a #1 driver rather than a #2.

Why is Lotus considered the one of the worst teams right now?  What's wrong with Ferrari?
It's only been one race, too early to tell who the good teams are. All the teams are experimenting with new front end setups and engines. Lotus is considered the worst right now because BOTH of their drivers retired/DNF the 1st race due to failures or crashes.

I didn't see anything wrong with Ferrari. Both drivers finished in the top 10 which gained them valuable points.

I don't really have the answers for the last questions. Haven't checked into the rules. Everything I learned was from watching the qualifying events and races while listening to the commentators explaining stuff.
Report Spam   Logged

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Crzy15a/123549019111_0_ALB.jpg
Streaming BF4 every day at: twitch.tv/crzy89
Crzy
No Mercy
Founding Member
WU Pwn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 05:49:28 pm »

If you can't tell I like Formula 1 lol. It's a LOT more than just hold the pedal and go in circles like Nascar. Teams DON'T fuel up and only put enough fuel to get them to the end of the race. Otherwise it's extra weight in the car and it slows them down. Now there's a ~40 gallon gas limit so teams are expected to race for 2 hours at very high speeds without ever refueling.

Since I've started watching I've seen tons of cars BARELY make it to end of the race and most can't take the victory lap because they're on fumes. Interested to see how these new engines play out with the gas limit. BTW the guy who won 2nd place in the Australian GP was DQ'd for having more gas than the limit. Redbull scored no points so they're angry and trying to appeal that.
Report Spam   Logged

Ress
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 09:33:48 pm »

Ye I read all about Redbull using a faulty sensor in Ricciardo's car.

What are the different tournaments?  The drivers tournament trophy or whatever goes to the driver with the most points at the end?  The constructors chamipionship trophy to the team with the most points at the end?
Report Spam   Logged

Crzy
No Mercy
Founding Member
WU Pwn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 11:33:46 pm »

There's the Drivers Championship which rewards the top drivers in points. This is what makes it fun to watch when Vettel isn't blowing out the competition by 30secs or more each race. Say it's a close point race and Vettel gets an engine failure and can't finish the race, it leaves the next people in line to gain valuable points for finishing 1st. Vettel has won this for the 3 years I've watched F1 lol. Last season was a total blowout because he was dominating Poles, Laps Lead, and Wins. The two seasons before that were fun to watch because Alonso was very close to taking it from him.

Team CS rewards the teams with the most consistent Top 10 Finishes with cash prizes at the end of the season. So it takes into account the #1 AND #2's performance over the season. This is why I'm excited to watch Raikkonen and Alonso work together with Ferrari this year. Both of them are extremely reliable in scoring within the top 10 each race. So while they might not finish in the Podium every race, they can really get some points against Redbull in one of the championships.

Constructor's CS is for the Engine. That's why there's 3 engine models that can only be used. I guess Renault, Mercedes, and Ferrari give everyone an equal engine and leave it up to the team mechanics to tune the crap out of it. No clue what the engine companies get for winning this.

I honestly suspect this year's gas requirement and engine/power changes are because the FIA wants to have closer races. Last season was kind of boring to watch for 1st place results because Vettel was sitting on Pole for a majority of them and the Redbull was tuned for him to gain a 3+ sec lead right from the start. That way the people behind him could never activate the DRS system to catch him. Every race was pretty much his if he didn't have a bad qualifying or engine failure.

Speaking of failures, that's really the great equalizer of the sport. When the top teams push too hard every race they risk their power supplies overheating or their tires blowing out. This gives all the back runners a chance to score at least 1-2 points in the top 10 which nets them some extra cash prizes toward making the car better for next year.
Report Spam   Logged

Handass
Peck's Bitch
WU Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 11:46:08 pm »

HOLY **** IS THAT SOME CRZY? MY GOD HOW I'VE MISSED YOU YOU SEXY **** BASTARD
Report Spam   Logged

Ress
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 11:35:21 am »

What are poles?  Is it when each driver takes to the track one at a time to see who can have the fastest track time and then that is what is used to place the drivers on the grid for the main race?
Report Spam   Logged

Crzy
No Mercy
Founding Member
WU Pwn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 07:43:18 pm »

What's up THE HANDEH! Tongue

Pole Position is basically starting the race in 1st place. That's the whole point of the Qualifying Race on Saturday. They all take the track in 3 sessions to figure out the starting positions of everyone based on their times. Teams that have failures or slow times will end up in the back of the grid which makes their Sunday Race day that much difficult since they'll have traffic in front of them.

Qualifying races are fun to watch when it's on the last session where they determine the top 10 spots. The strategies of when the racers go out is crazy...They time it so they will be the last one on track after the timer runs out that way they have the last chance to get 1st. It's not like Nascar where they go one at a time. Teams just try their best to release their driver when there's no traffic in front of them to slow their times down.

Vettel gained most of the pole positions last year and he would just get a 3+ second lead so no one could ever catch him.
Report Spam   Logged

Crzy
No Mercy
Founding Member
WU Pwn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 10:03:32 am »

I hope you watched that Bahrain GP....F1 is most exciting when teammates go at it and pretty much everyone in the top 10 were teammates fighting each other lol.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: