Banner
Xtra Smileys
[Open]
We Unite Gaming
April 20, 2024, 12:06:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to We Unite Gaming!
Formerly Wii Unite/Wii Unite Gaming

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Youtube Channel Chatbox Staff List Login Register  

Browser suggestions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Browser suggestions  (Read 423 times)
Cadillak
Global Moderator
WU Guru

PSN: lakkus

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2014, 08:56:58 am »

well, I'm so entrenched in google/android software across my phone, tablet and browser that I don't see myself switching to firefox for personal use.

I like how everything works across all my devices through my google account.

can you even do all that stuff with FF? I'm assuming you'd have to set up a bunch of apps or add-ons or whatever.
Report Spam   Logged
BMan
Administrator
WU Master

PSN: SteelCityBMan

I'm your zero

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2014, 09:07:33 am »

I'm the same way with Chrome.  Any tabs on Chrome on my computer, iPad, Android, etc. can be opened on any of the other devices.

Plus you can sync contacts and calendars from Outlook to Android and iPad.
Report Spam   Logged

The good morning crew is filled with weirdos
Cadillak
Global Moderator
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2014, 09:17:38 am »

I don't even use outlook for much of anything. I still haven't switched from hotmail to gmail yet cuz, you know, laziness. that's gonna be a lot of websites to have to go change email addresses on...

I love having my stuff all synced across devices. It's cool as **** to be able to access all my stuff from anywhere.
Report Spam   Logged
Kreater
Global Moderator
WU Pwn

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2014, 11:58:30 am »

Are there any security risks in using this methods?

I can't think of any security risks if you are just copying and pasting the list yourself. All it's doing is when your web browser is trying to go to an ad website, it directs your browser to go to your computer instead of the Internet, which of course goes nowhere.

So, if it goes to the PC it's not cached and won't clog up any memory?

No, it just basically dies. It tries to find the page and when your computer sends nothing back, that's it.

Awesome.  I'll try it.  My PC sucks as it is. 

Anyone got any links to free malware, antivirus, pop up blocker? 

Roll Eyes Tongue

Embarrassed
Report Spam   Logged

Termin8or
WU Pigskin Pick'em Champion
WU Guru

Clan: WtF

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2014, 01:06:56 pm »

I was just messing with ya  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

jd111
WU Master

Clan: OG, Dead Rabbits
PSN: the_jd111

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2014, 01:31:48 pm »

For launch times Chrome still seems faster, although I haven't tested it.  FF was updated a while back and looks a bit more similar to Chrome, but I dunno.

As for which one's faster, I'd say Chrome.  It launches each window as its own process instead of a thread in a process like FF, meaning each can claim its own system resources and doesn't have to wait for anything (relatively speaking, the OS still has the final say in that obviously).  This also means if a Chrome tab crashes the other tabs should be okay, assuming what crashed wasn't Flash.

I echo this, and Chrome works better for me using dual monitors- it's easy to drag the browser, or a single tab, from one monitor to the other. Not sure if FF has that ability, but I know IE doesn't.
Report Spam   Logged

PSN: The_jd111
Cadillak
Global Moderator
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2014, 01:36:56 pm »

For launch times Chrome still seems faster, although I haven't tested it.  FF was updated a while back and looks a bit more similar to Chrome, but I dunno.

As for which one's faster, I'd say Chrome.  It launches each window as its own process instead of a thread in a process like FF, meaning each can claim its own system resources and doesn't have to wait for anything (relatively speaking, the OS still has the final say in that obviously).  This also means if a Chrome tab crashes the other tabs should be okay, assuming what crashed wasn't Flash.

I echo this, and Chrome works better for me using dual monitors- it's easy to drag the browser, or a single tab, from one monitor to the other. Not sure if FF has that ability, but I know IE doesn't.

huh? IE does two monitors just fine... at least for me it does on Win 7 and IE 9
Report Spam   Logged
jd111
WU Master

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2014, 01:46:06 pm »

huh? IE does two monitors just fine... at least for me it does on Win 7 and IE 9

You can't click and drag the windows from one to the other like you can with Chrome. In EI, you have to minimize the browser window, then click the title bar, then drag the window to the other screen, and then maximize the browser window. You don't have to do any of that with Chrome, except click and drag. It automatically minimizes and maximizes the browser window.
Report Spam   Logged

Cadillak
Global Moderator
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2014, 01:52:41 pm »

You can't click and drag the windows from one to the other like you can with Chrome. In EI, you have to minimize the browser window, then click the title bar, then drag the window to the other screen, and then maximize the browser window. You don't have to do any of that with Chrome, except click and drag. It automatically minimizes and maximizes the browser window.

incorrect. i just tested it. I could make a video of it if you don't believe me.
Report Spam   Logged
jd111
WU Master

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2014, 01:52:46 pm »

Actually, it appears that the latest update made dragging from one monitor to the other easier, but the windows are minimized on the second monitor- it still doesn't maximize them automatically.
Report Spam   Logged

Cadillak
Global Moderator
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2014, 01:53:46 pm »

you can't do it in excel though...
Report Spam   Logged
jd111
WU Master

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2014, 01:55:22 pm »

incorrect. i just tested it. I could make a video of it if you don't believe me.

**** your video. IE still sucks donkey pen0rs.  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

jd111
WU Master

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2014, 01:56:32 pm »

Can't do what?
Report Spam   Logged

Cadillak
Global Moderator
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2014, 02:27:56 pm »

**** your video. IE still sucks donkey snorkles.  Tongue

lol, I won't disagree with that. but, it's really not as bad as it used to be. I have to use it at work and they've basically copied FF and chrome enough now that it's bearable.

Can't do what?

excel won't let you grab maximized windows and drag them. you have to un-maximize(?) them first, then drag them...

*edit - never mind. apparently they've fixed that. it works now too.
Report Spam   Logged
Kreater
Global Moderator
WU Pwn

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2014, 03:38:39 pm »

Oburn!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: