Banner
Xtra Smileys
[Open]
We Unite Gaming
March 28, 2024, 05:56:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to We Unite Gaming!
Formerly Wii Unite/Wii Unite Gaming

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Youtube Channel Chatbox Staff List Login Register  

Let's talk new PC hardware (2020) *NOW FEATURING 100% MOAR CONSOLE CHAT*

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's talk new PC hardware (2020) *NOW FEATURING 100% MOAR CONSOLE CHAT*  (Read 493 times)
Laughing Turd
Global Moderator
WU Guru

Clan: Dragon Boys

Maldita mi duda fue fatal.

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2018, 08:01:16 pm »

- Are you looking for a build that will *run* current gen games, a build that will give you 60 FPS at 1080p with graphics settings towards the higher end, or a build that will give you 144 FPS minimum in 1080p/60 FPS at 4K without breaking a sweat at max graphics settings for the next 3-5 years?

Well, my last build was a middle of the pack pc that was able to run anything on high settings at 60fps. I think this time around I want to go for something with a little bit more grunt. Are they making single graphics cards capable of running 4k at those frames now? I don't want to mess with multiple cards because then I'm going to want to water cool. Not looking for anything that complex right now. If there aren't any cards that can do that on their own, I think I can go for 1440p, high setting and all of the frames per second. I'm fairly sure both nVidia and AMD offer something for that.

- What operating system do you want?  Most likely this will be Windows since Windows is the OS for gaming, but if you prefer 7 to the exclusion of 10 it'll (unfortunately and indefensibly) limit your compatibility with newer, higher-end components.

Well, I think I'll just go for Windows 10. I don't really want to mess with all the other OSs. I remember AMD was heavily supporting Vulkan for their games and I even got a bit of a performance boost on BF4 over DirectX. I know DX12 on Windows also works similar to Vulkan, but I'm not sure how that fight has progressed since a few years ago. Can you still use that on windows? I forgot how all that works. In any case, I think I'll just stick with Windows.

- What else do you want to do with your build?  Any interest in video editing? Planning on using it for work?  Aside from gaming, would it just be a Netflix/web browsing machine?

I mostly just want a gaming rig. I'm not getting into any kind of editing, although an occasional stream would be nice. Not sure if it's still unwise to do that on the same rig instead of using a secondary. Other than that I'll do some occasional spread sheet stuff, but nothing heavy. How much memory are we dealing with these days? 12? 16?

Do you care about slow boot times/longer load screens in-game?

I'm definitely going SSD. I regret buying my SSD until months after building my rig because I couldn't put the OS on there.

Lastly, I don't know what the current state of the AMD v nVidia war is. I know AMD came out with a pretty damn good CPU to battle Intel and some pretty good cards to battle nVidia. If I understand it correctly AMD isn't necessarily just good price for performance anymore.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: