Banner
Xtra Smileys
[Open]
We Unite Gaming
March 28, 2024, 08:31:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to We Unite Gaming!
Formerly Wii Unite/Wii Unite Gaming

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Youtube Channel Chatbox Staff List Login Register  

Let's talk new PC hardware (2020) *NOW FEATURING 100% MOAR CONSOLE CHAT*

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's talk new PC hardware (2020) *NOW FEATURING 100% MOAR CONSOLE CHAT*  (Read 495 times)
Laughing Turd
Global Moderator
WU Guru

Clan: Dragon Boys

Maldita mi duda fue fatal.

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2018, 03:58:11 pm »

Been 5 years since i built my bat-computer. She's still alive and kicking and can run old games at good framerates. But as with my girlfriend, as she ages I want to get rid of her for a newer model.
Unfortunately I'm not in the game anymore and don't know where we are in terms of technology. What do u guys know about this subject? The new battlefield will probably be shown soon and release will most likely be at the end of the year. I want to set money aside from now until then but not sure what my budget should be.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 11:18:38 pm by Laughing Turd » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Turboweasle
Administrator
WU Guru

PSN: Turboweasle

Turboweasle: everyone's favorite speedy rodent

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 05:52:37 pm »

Determining a budget depends largely on what performance you want out of it.  I'll list some questions for you to consider below, and based on your answers I can point you in the direction of the components you'll want and about how much a total build will cost you.

- Are you looking for a build that will *run* current gen games, a build that will give you 60 FPS at 1080p with graphics settings towards the higher end, or a build that will give you 144 FPS minimum in 1080p/60 FPS at 4K without breaking a sweat at max graphics settings for the next 3-5 years?

- What operating system do you want?  Most likely this will be Windows since Windows is the OS for gaming, but if you prefer 7 to the exclusion of 10 it'll (unfortunately and indefensibly) limit your compatibility with newer, higher-end components.

- What else do you want to do with your build?  Any interest in video editing? Planning on using it for work?  Aside from gaming, would it just be a Netflix/web browsing machine?

- Do you care about slow boot times/longer load screens in-game? (SSD vs HDD)

That should get you started.  If I think of any more useful questions I'll add them, but once you let me know what you're looking for I'll start the information deluge.
Report Spam   Logged

"And I also told the students that, for the sake of humanity's future, I hoped they were all sterile." - Ignatius Reilly.
Never mind what your daughter is taught in school; what she remembers is what she has learned from you.
Anti-Noob Fortress of Veteraness Council Member
~Turboweasle~

I NEVER squeeze my jubblies, so that stuff wouldn't work for me.
June
WU's Favorite Month
WU Master

PSN: oJUNEo

She acts like summer and walks like rain.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 06:32:54 pm »

He wants to play Overwatch. Build computer for Overwatch.
Report Spam   Logged

My version of Bing search is out of date?
OhioLawyer
Administrator
WU Master

Clan: The Fatal Five

Romans 5:8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 07:22:12 am »

I don't even have a home PC anymore. My daughter has a Samsung Chromebook. It plays Google app games, not sure the framerate of Cooking Mama though.  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Laughing Turd
Global Moderator
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 08:01:16 pm »

- Are you looking for a build that will *run* current gen games, a build that will give you 60 FPS at 1080p with graphics settings towards the higher end, or a build that will give you 144 FPS minimum in 1080p/60 FPS at 4K without breaking a sweat at max graphics settings for the next 3-5 years?

Well, my last build was a middle of the pack pc that was able to run anything on high settings at 60fps. I think this time around I want to go for something with a little bit more grunt. Are they making single graphics cards capable of running 4k at those frames now? I don't want to mess with multiple cards because then I'm going to want to water cool. Not looking for anything that complex right now. If there aren't any cards that can do that on their own, I think I can go for 1440p, high setting and all of the frames per second. I'm fairly sure both nVidia and AMD offer something for that.

- What operating system do you want?  Most likely this will be Windows since Windows is the OS for gaming, but if you prefer 7 to the exclusion of 10 it'll (unfortunately and indefensibly) limit your compatibility with newer, higher-end components.

Well, I think I'll just go for Windows 10. I don't really want to mess with all the other OSs. I remember AMD was heavily supporting Vulkan for their games and I even got a bit of a performance boost on BF4 over DirectX. I know DX12 on Windows also works similar to Vulkan, but I'm not sure how that fight has progressed since a few years ago. Can you still use that on windows? I forgot how all that works. In any case, I think I'll just stick with Windows.

- What else do you want to do with your build?  Any interest in video editing? Planning on using it for work?  Aside from gaming, would it just be a Netflix/web browsing machine?

I mostly just want a gaming rig. I'm not getting into any kind of editing, although an occasional stream would be nice. Not sure if it's still unwise to do that on the same rig instead of using a secondary. Other than that I'll do some occasional spread sheet stuff, but nothing heavy. How much memory are we dealing with these days? 12? 16?

Do you care about slow boot times/longer load screens in-game?

I'm definitely going SSD. I regret buying my SSD until months after building my rig because I couldn't put the OS on there.

Lastly, I don't know what the current state of the AMD v nVidia war is. I know AMD came out with a pretty damn good CPU to battle Intel and some pretty good cards to battle nVidia. If I understand it correctly AMD isn't necessarily just good price for performance anymore.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughing Turd
Global Moderator
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 08:05:29 pm »

Lies.

I don't even have a home PC anymore. My daughter has a Samsung Chromebook. It plays Google app games, not sure the framerate of Cooking Mama though.  Cheesy

I don't blame you. Life is too mobile for a desktop PC. My nephew and niece won't let go of their tablet and laugh at the old relic that is my desktop PC. At least I can run Crysis.
Report Spam   Logged

BMan
Administrator
WU Master

PSN: SteelCityBMan

I'm your zero

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 02:50:05 pm »

Get internet.  I hear they have internet on computers nowadays.
Report Spam   Logged

The good morning crew is filled with weirdos
June
WU's Favorite Month
WU Master

PSN: oJUNEo

She acts like summer and walks like rain.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 10:11:31 pm »

Lies.

What the?
Report Spam   Logged

My version of Bing search is out of date?
Laughing Turd
Global Moderator
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 01:28:44 pm »

What the?

Huh, whut?
Report Spam   Logged

Laughing Turd
Global Moderator
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 03:07:13 pm »

Get internet.  I hear they have internet on computers nowadays.

What the?
Report Spam   Logged

OhioLawyer
Administrator
WU Master

Clan: The Fatal Five

Romans 5:8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 09:07:11 am »

Here is all the PC gaming I need:

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games/v2
Report Spam   Logged

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Turboweasle
Administrator
WU Guru

PSN: Turboweasle

Turboweasle: everyone's favorite speedy rodent

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 04:46:59 pm »

Well, my last build was a middle of the pack pc that was able to run anything on high settings at 60fps. I think this time around I want to go for something with a little bit more grunt. Are they making single graphics cards capable of running 4k at those frames now? I don't want to mess with multiple cards because then I'm going to want to water cool. Not looking for anything that complex right now. If there aren't any cards that can do that on their own, I think I can go for 1440p, high setting and all of the frames per second. I'm fairly sure both nVidia and AMD offer something for that.

The good ole NVidia GTX 1080ti can get you 60fps@4k consistently on almost all new games on max settings, but keep in mind this'll also mean purchasing a monitor capable of 4k resolution.  You may already have one, just making sure you know ahead of time.

Well, I think I'll just go for Windows 10. I don't really want to mess with all the other OSs. I remember AMD was heavily supporting Vulkan for their games and I even got a bit of a performance boost on BF4 over DirectX. I know DX12 on Windows also works similar to Vulkan, but I'm not sure how that fight has progressed since a few years ago. Can you still use that on windows? I forgot how all that works. In any case, I think I'll just stick with Windows.

I'd recommend Windows 10 Pro in that case.  It's (obviously) more expensive than the base Home addition, but it gives you a lot more control over your system via allowing you to edit settings (specifically in our case update settings) without having to mess with the registry.  There are a lot of reports of people having their computers restart in the middle of a gaming session because of forced updates on Win10.

I mostly just want a gaming rig. I'm not getting into any kind of editing, although an occasional stream would be nice. Not sure if it's still unwise to do that on the same rig instead of using a secondary. Other than that I'll do some occasional spread sheet stuff, but nothing heavy. How much memory are we dealing with these days? 12? 16?

In that case you can probably do just fine with a solid i5 processor (unless you want to go AMD for the processor, which I have less experience with).  Memory is pretty expensive these days thanks to a near total monopoly on RAM production by one South Korean company, so unless you plan on doing something seriously memory-heavy I'd recommend going with one 8GB DDR4 RAM card and watching the prices for a while if you want to upgrade to 16.

Do you care about slow boot times/longer load screens in-game?

I'm definitely going SSD. I regret buying my SSD until months after building my rig because I couldn't put the OS on there.

Good choice.  There's a lot of affordable SSD drives on the market now, especially if you only plan to put the OS and a handful of games on them.  Saw a 128GB SSD for $39.99 yesterday.

Lastly, I don't know what the current state of the AMD v nVidia war is. I know AMD came out with a pretty damn good CPU to battle Intel and some pretty good cards to battle nVidia. If I understand it correctly AMD isn't necessarily just good price for performance anymore.

This is gonna depend on who you ask.  Personally, AMD's GPUs were underwhelming for the price when looking at benchmarks, and there have been some issues with drivers.  From what I hear their CPUs are solid though (particularly the 6-core line), especially given that they weren't vulnerable to the Meltdown and Spectre CPU vulnerabilities that gimped Intel processors a bit.

I'll work on setting up a pcpartpicker build for you to look at sometime this week.  Let me know if you have any strong feelings about AMD vs Intel for the processor or vs NVidia for the GPU.
Report Spam   Logged

"And I also told the students that, for the sake of humanity's future, I hoped they were all sterile." - Ignatius Reilly.
Never mind what your daughter is taught in school; what she remembers is what she has learned from you.
Anti-Noob Fortress of Veteraness Council Member
~Turboweasle~

I NEVER squeeze my jubblies, so that stuff wouldn't work for me.
Laughing Turd
Global Moderator
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 04:44:11 pm »

The good ole NVidia GTX 1080ti can get you 60fps@4k consistently on almost all new games on max settings, but keep in mind this'll also mean purchasing a monitor capable of 4k resolution.  You may already have one, just making sure you know ahead of time.

I think I'd honestly rather have a very high and steady frame rate over the 4k resolution @ 60fps. Are there any cards that can push 4k at 144fps? I imagine they'd cost a metric fawk-ton. Hell I'm guessing the 1080ti is pretty expensive itself and it's a couple of years old, isn't it?

I'd recommend Windows 10 Pro in that case.

Check

In that case you can probably do just fine with a solid i5 processor (unless you want to go AMD for the processor, which I have less experience with).

I wouldn't mind going with an i5. To be totally honest with you I'm very curious about those new AMD processors though. If they offer something better than an i5 for a similar price I'd definitely go with them. But I agree that I probably don't need anything much more powerful than an i5. Aren't modern games offloading the extra work onto the graphics cards anyway?

I'd recommend going with one 8GB DDR4 RAM card and watching the prices for a while if you want to upgrade to 16.

check

Good choice.  There's a lot of affordable SSD drives on the market now, especially if you only plan to put the OS and a handful of games on them.  Saw a 128GB SSD for $39.99 yesterday.

check. and ****, my 128 cost me three times as much back in the day.

Let me know if you have any strong feelings about AMD vs Intel for the processor or vs NVidia for the GPU.

honestly, i do lean closer to the amd side because i know intel and nvidia have done some really crappy things. i don't blame a company for trying to stack things in their favor, but some things are too classless. amd are no saints either, i know.   plus i think a homogeneous build probably works more efficiently anyway.
Report Spam   Logged

dudedudedude for Moderator
WU Smash Yo Face

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 05:21:24 pm »

I have Windows ME
Report Spam   Logged
Laughing Turd
Global Moderator
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 03:01:48 pm »

I have Windows ME

Well if a man loves something this much, who am I to argue against it.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: