Banner
Xtra Smileys
[Open]
We Unite Gaming
March 28, 2024, 08:39:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to We Unite Gaming!
Formerly Wii Unite/Wii Unite Gaming

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Youtube Channel Chatbox Staff List Login Register  

Let's talk new PC hardware (2020) *NOW FEATURING 100% MOAR CONSOLE CHAT*

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's talk new PC hardware (2020) *NOW FEATURING 100% MOAR CONSOLE CHAT*  (Read 496 times)
Turboweasle
Administrator
WU Guru

PSN: Turboweasle

Turboweasle: everyone's favorite speedy rodent

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2018, 12:45:41 pm »

> I'll work on setting up a pcpartpicker build for you to look at sometime this week.

This week, a month later, what's the difference?

So, here's a higher-end build with some future-proofing in mind (higher watt power supply than you need in case you upgrade CPU/GPU or add more drives, higher clock speed RAM, overclocking, etc):

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cxgRV6

It won't run everything at 144 Hz 1440p, but it'll run most everything at 144 Hz 1080p on high settings, although not on max settings for newer games like The Witcher 3.

If, however, you feel your money burning a hole in your pocket and would like to have a top of the line build, this is what you should look at (and is pretty close to my build, with the exception of the processor):

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MV4Kq4

You'll notice a couple consistencies between the two builds so far: the monitor and the CPU cooler.

I honestly can't recommend that monitor enough.  I've had the GN246HL for three years now and have never once had a problem with it.  The only issue you could potentially run into is that the monitor doesn't support HD video quality through the DVI port (what you need to plug your video card into for 144 Hz refresh rate), and on HDMI it doesn't support 144 Hz refresh rate (but does display HD video).  Newer monitors have a DisplayPort port, which can handle both at the same time and seems to be where the future is for monitors (all of my 10 series Nvidia cards have these ports, as do my older 970 cards).  It's not really a death sentence, but it's kinda annoying if you care about picture quality when watching movies.

The CPU cooler is there for two reasons.  First, the new Intel CPUs (like the i5 and the i7 in those builds) don't have stock coolers, so you need an aftermarket one to install (and boy are they absolute PITAs to install).  Second, they're the cheapest highly-reviewed aftermarket CPU coolers I found in my research, and I've been using mine for about 4 months now without issue.  It definitely works better than a stock cooler did on my older Xeon CPU.

Let me know if you have any questions about those builds/parts.

And last but not least, we have the budget build!

This will still play games (including newer games) at 60 FPS 1080p on medium to high graphics depending on the game, but, well, it's a budget build, so don't expect it to be a workhorse.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/csm4pG

And full disclosure, this isn't a "true" budget build; it's still fairly new when it comes to the motherboard, CPU, and RAM.  Reason being that Microsoft recently got with Intel and the motherboard manufacturers and made it so new series Intel CPUs don't support Windows 7, only Windows 8 and newer.  Older CPUs/motherboards support Windows 7 and 10, but they don't support DDR4 RAM, so it's all kind of a big clusterf**k of part compatibility.

Let me know if you want a true budget build, but I suspect you don't.

Also, you can choose whatever case you want, I just picked whatever wasn't ludicrously expensive due to stupid RGB lighting, but if that's your thing, have at it.
Report Spam   Logged

"And I also told the students that, for the sake of humanity's future, I hoped they were all sterile." - Ignatius Reilly.
Never mind what your daughter is taught in school; what she remembers is what she has learned from you.
Anti-Noob Fortress of Veteraness Council Member
~Turboweasle~

I NEVER squeeze my jubblies, so that stuff wouldn't work for me.
Laughing Turd
Global Moderator
WU Guru

Clan: Dragon Boys

Maldita mi duda fue fatal.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 10:27:17 am »

so as it goes right now we're actually planning a vacation and all my money is going into that, but I still saved the second list of items. As soon as I reach the target amount for the vacation I'll start putting some aside for the new PC. Won't be a until a few months from now though. Also I'm looking at the specs for the new 2080 ti. These damn hardware parts change so **** fast. It's starting to **** me off, but whatever. If I have enough cash then I'll drop it down for the latest and greatest and then pull my hair out because they haven't sorted out the bugs on a gen 1 part.
Report Spam   Logged

Permanent Poopface
Founding Member
WU Guru

Clan: vT

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 03:54:54 pm »

I got the Logitech g502 recently and it's amazing got it for only $30
Report Spam   Logged

Laughing Turd
Global Moderator
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 04:07:20 pm »

I got the Logitech g502 recently and it's amazing got it for only $30

stop copying me buttkiss
Report Spam   Logged

Permanent Poopface
Founding Member
WU Guru

Clan: vT

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 04:13:45 pm »

I got the Cosair k65 lux as well, your mom recommended it to me laughed at my small pen0r
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 04:16:00 pm by Laughing Turd » Report Spam   Logged

Laughing Turd
Global Moderator
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2019, 09:11:55 pm »

so as it goes right now we're actually planning a vacation and all my money is going into that, but I still saved the second list of items. As soon as I reach the target amount for the vacation I'll start putting some aside for the new PC. Won't be a until a few months from now though. Also I'm looking at the specs for the new 2080 ti. These damn hardware parts change so **** fast. It's starting to **** me off, but whatever. If I have enough cash then I'll drop it down for the latest and greatest and then pull my hair out because they haven't sorted out the bugs on a gen 1 part.

so a lot of male cattle dung happened and blah blah blah. let's revisit this subject. we're a year on after the initial post and the technology landscape has changed. amd is just about on top cpu (zen 2) and maybe even gpu-wise (navi). also the new console generation is fast approaching and if the buzz is to be believed ps5 is going to be a helluva beast. but consoles have slowly become custom PCs and this new gen blurs the line even more. im actually on the fence about waiting for the new gen or building a new rig on my own with the new generation of gpus and cpus.

i wanna talk about this.
Report Spam   Logged

Turboweasle
Administrator
WU Guru

PSN: Turboweasle

Turboweasle: everyone's favorite speedy rodent

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2019, 08:47:58 pm »

I haven't been keeping up with PC stuff too closely for the past year, but from what little I've heard if I were building a mid range PC I'd go AMD CPU and team green for GPU.  I just don't see the performance per dollar advantage from AMD's GPUs that I'd like to see.  Some of that comes from Nvidia making sketchy deals with hardware manufacturers like Intel to optimize with their cards and not AMD's, but even so, I want more frames.
Report Spam   Logged

"And I also told the students that, for the sake of humanity's future, I hoped they were all sterile." - Ignatius Reilly.
Never mind what your daughter is taught in school; what she remembers is what she has learned from you.
Anti-Noob Fortress of Veteraness Council Member
~Turboweasle~

I NEVER squeeze my jubblies, so that stuff wouldn't work for me.
Laughing Turd
Global Moderator
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2020, 11:27:15 pm »

So I'm pretty excited about the new PC tech coming out and I still haven't put together a new rig. I'm definitely going to go with a new AMD cpu and I'm probably still going to go with team red for my GPU. Big Navi seems like it's going to compete pretty well with Ampere. I don't think anything is going to compare with the 3090 but I do hear the 6900XT might actually get pretty close.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughing Turd
Global Moderator
WU Guru

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2023, 03:14:31 pm »

Get internet.  I hear they have internet on computers nowadays.

Does Tik Tok access home wifi network though?

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: